1 a large strong and aggressive woman [syn: virago]
2 (Greek mythology) one of a nation of women warriors of Scythia (who burned off the right breast in order to use a bow and arrow more effectively)
3 a major South American river; flows into the South Atlantic; the world's 2nd longest river (4000 miles) [syn: Amazon River]
4 mainly green tropical American parrots
- A tall, strong, athletic woman.
- Although the evidence for real Amazons is thin, many women athletes are called amazons.
- (of a woman) very tall, strong and athletic.
- Having physical or behavioral characteristics associated with Amazons or their culture.
Quotations(for usage examples see citations)
Amazon or Amazons may refer to:
- Amazons, members of a legendary nation of female warriors in Greek mythology
- more generally, any "woman warrior"
- Amazon River, the largest river in the world by volume
- Amazons (comics), legendary warrior women from the DC Comics universe associated with the superheroine Wonder Woman
- Swallows and Amazons (series), a series by Arthur Ransome about two girl sailors and would-be pirates
- Amazon (comics), also known as Man-Killer, a villain in the Marvel Comics universe
- The Amazon (book), a book by Frederick Smith, 3rd Earl of Birkenhead
television and film:
- Amazons (1984 film), a TV-Movie starring Tamara Dobson
- Amazons (1986 film), a 1986 Argentine adventure science fiction fantasy epic
- Amazon (TV series), a 1999 TV series adaptation of a Peter Benchley story
- Amazon Women on the Moon, a 1987 film written by comedy duo Michael Barrie and Jim Mulholland
- Amazon Women in the Mood, an episode from the 3rd season of Futurama.
- Kamen Rider Amazon, a japanese television show.
- Amazon (Fairy chess piece), a fairy chess piece which is used in some variants of chess
- Game of the Amazons, a board game
- Military - Libya's Col. Kadaffi's Personal Bodyguards called "The Amazonian Guard". See Women in military history, Re.: Countries, Re.: Libya. Libya is the only Islamic Nation that has women in the military.
- 1984 Adventure game created by Michael Crichton.
amazon in Catalan: Amazones
amazon in German: Amazon
amazon in Spanish: Amazona
amazon in Esperanto: Amazono
amazon in French: Amazone
amazon in Indonesian: Amazon
amazon in Italian: Amazon
amazon in Hebrew: אמזונאס
amazon in Macedonian: Амазон
amazon in Dutch: Amazone
amazon in Japanese: アマゾン (曖昧さ回避)
amazon in Norwegian: Amazonas
amazon in Norwegian Nynorsk: Amazonas
amazon in Polish: Amazonka
amazon in Portuguese: Amazonas (desambiguação)
amazon in Romanian: Amazon (dezambiguizare)
amazon in Simple English: Amazon
amazon in Finnish: Amazon
amazon in Swedish: Amazon
amazon in Vietnamese: Amazon
amazon in Turkish: Amazon
amazon in Ukrainian: Амазонка
amazon in Chinese: 亚马孙